Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Kohlberg for 4th graders

Yesterday, while subbing in a fourth grade classroom, I came across this wonderful poster.
Kohlberg's levels of morality in the classroom

This is a great way to simplify Kohlberg's levels of morality development in a way that is relatable to students.  Of course, I do not know how the teacher presented these levels of morality to her students, but I think the fact that they are in the classroom and visible to the students every day must serve as an important reminder of a lesson on behavior and how we make decisions.

I could see myself using this type of rewriting of Kohlberg's theory to teach students about how we think when we make decisions.  This type of meta-cognition is an important skill to develop as students mature and are forced to make more decisions on their own, without parental or teacher guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment