Thursday, March 21, 2013

what they know

Got an e-mail today from the school counselor at the elementary school for whom I subbed a couple of months ago.  She wanted to share a cute story with me about a K-5 student I worked with while she was away.  This student came into her (my) room a few times as a part of a friendship group, but since she's been back to the school he hasn't been back.  Today she went to get him to chat with him one-on-one and when they got to the room he said, "this looks just like Ms. K's room!" 

so the whole bit about her leaving, me subbing, her coming back didn't at all register with him or maybe it did, but it didn't get attached to the understanding that the room he saw me in is the same room that she works in because that was her room to begin with.  It's a good reminder, I think, for myself and other elementary school counselors about what the little ones in our schools do and can focus on their attention.  At 5 years old, they are still very self-centered, and it's important to keep that in mind when working with them.  We might assume they'll remember something we said, or an activity we did, or a room they visited, but unless it's truly connected to their immediate "world," they're not gonna pay much attention to it, just like this little boy did not pay much attention to her leaving, me coming, me going, and her coming back.  :) Good stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment