Thursday, March 28, 2013

Reading ASCA

Yes, so I've slipped, and have not blogged the last couple of days. My excuses? I have been a bit down about not getting a position I interviewed for last week, and also have been working on new resumes and cover letters, which sucks up a lot of brain power and energy from other endeavors. Today, after finishing a new version of a cover letter for a position I really want, I decided to pick up the newest copy of the ASCA School Counselor magazine. This issue presents five outstanding school counselors from across the country who have been honored this year at being named the best in their profession. Reading their stories has been very inspiring and motivated me to get back on my blog wagon and keep doing what I am doing. The post will still be short, but I wanted to share a quote from one of the articles in the magazine, "Meant for Mentors."
                 "A school counselor who decides to stay isolated
                  will be rehashing the same lessons, struggling with the same concerns
                  and possibly making the same mistakes.  But to the school counselor who 
                  decides to seek out a positive, nourishing relationship, so much good is possible."
                               Anthony Pearson (a school counseling mentor)

I think it's so very important in our profession to seek out others' ideas and inspiration to keep ourselves motivated, to create better and more challenging and effective lessons, and to continue to inspire, lead, and advocate for all our students.

Source:
Pfleger, N. (2013, April). Meant for mentors. School Counselor50(4), 27-30.

No comments:

Post a Comment