Friday, March 15, 2013

Teaching Tolerance

I received a renewal notice from the Teaching Tolerance magazine, which I had subscribed for last year.  I learned about this magazine from a professor in a school counseling course, and it took me a year to remember to subscribe to it, but I'm glad I finally did.   This is a wonderful FREE resource available to educators at every level of the school system.
The magazines publishes 4-5 feature articles on relevant and interesting topics such as, "Found in Translation: Ensure school environments are welcoming to English language learners (ELLs) and their families" and "The School to prison pipeline: Policies and practices that favor incarceration over education do us all a grave injustice."
There are also a few opinion pieces and short pieces that briefly but thoroughly address current decisions that counselors, administrator and teachers have to make in their buildings, such as whether or not to establish a school uniform in the school.
The magazines also has several activities for all the grade levels that are centered around ideas of inclusion, friendship, prejudice, multiculturalism, etc.. So for a counselor, this magazine can be a great resource of ways to teach these sometimes difficult topics in a way that encourages open and non-judgement filled discussions.
Anyways, I will be renewing my subscription to this magazine, starting with the digital copy, which promises to have more multi-media ways to explore the magazine's topics and ideas.
Happy Friday!  One week of posts! Whoohoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment