Monday, March 11, 2013

Intro and what it's all about

The title of this blog has two meanings. I will be writing a blog once a week until I am hired as a full time counselor, and every single one of these posts will contain my ideas for activities, resources, and inspirations that could be used "every day" by a school counselor. Currently I am working as a substitute teacher in a variety of schools, districts, grade levels, and this job allows me access to numerous classrooms with wonderful educators who are full of innovative and exciting ideas for reaching their students. The resources and activities I will be posting on my blog will come from things I come across in these classrooms. I will also be using books, magazines, journals, and other venues to come up with every day inspirations for my posts. I hope to create a "bag" of resources for myself to access later as I start working in a school setting, but also as a place for other current and aspiring school counselors to tap into for ideas.

 My education background includes a Bachelors in Anthropology, a Secondary Teaching certification in English and History, and most recently a Masters in Educational Psychology. I graduated with the latter in May of 2012 and have been looking for a position as a school counselor ever since. I did, however, have the good fortune to find a long-term substitute counseling position at a wonderful suburban elementary school that lasted three months at the end of 2012 and proved to be an amazing opportunity to learn and grow as a newly fledged school counselor. I have worked as a substitute teacher for over three years in a variety of school settings, and teaching all grade levels and nearly every subject. I also taught in Japan for three years in a rural village on the main island of Okinawa as part of the JET Programme from 2005 to 2008. The blog from that experience can be found by clicking on the link to the left.
Well, enough about me, and onto the useful posts. :)

Please feel free to comment, critique, applaud, and share as I hope this turns into a collaborative space.

No comments:

Post a Comment